Thanks, that would really help!

It’s been a rough few days and I’m feeling pretty run down. This is a long rant/vent about today, so please forgive me. After finally attempting to get things back to normal, I’ve now come down with a sinus infection. We went to swim class on Monday and my son and daughter, the latter who refuses to go in the pool if I don’t go with her, both had a wonderful time. I, on the other hand, have always had issues with swimming pools, chlorine, and colds. They almost always turn into a sinus infection if I am not completely better. 

Today has been exceptionally painful and stressful. My son had his allergy retest, for peanuts and all other nuts (he did very well, still allergic to peanuts, but not to other nuts), at lunch time (prime nap time for my daughter too). I woke up at 7 and had to finish the coupon printing for the groceries I had to go pick up at 10am. Meanwhile, my husband (Mr. Man Cold) took the day off so he could be there for the allergy retest, and came downstairs to “help” get kids going (with cereal for breakfast). Then he made coffee (this is important, for later in the story) and sat down on the couch to play a “stupid” game (his words) that he can’t seem to win. As he’s sitting on the couch, I’m finalizing the coupons, making my own breakfast, cleaning out the dishwasher and reloading it, cleaning up from prior night’s dinner, and keep kids content with their random requests (mommy I want fruit, mommy I want marshmallows, mommy I want lemonade, mommy mommy mommy). 


While making my breakfast I get a change of clothes for both kids and manage to get my daughter changed and dressed, but leave my son in PJs, because 1) Mr. Man Cold can help him while I’m out picking up my groceries and 2) he can do it himself. Then I get 5 minutes to sit down to eat my oatmeal and my daughter wants some. So I give her some, but now it’s time to go, so I wolf it down as quickly as possible. Meanwhile MMC announces he will wash the dishes from last night, instead of loading them in the dishwasher. I say thanks, that would really help. I also tell him that I have a sinus infection, to which he responds that I don’t take care of myself. Ummm… What?!…. Now I’m annoyed. How the F am I supposed to do that when he spends all his “free” time putzing around on his iPad. 

So I head out to the grocery store, note I haven’t showered and I feel horrendous. I come back a little more than an hour later and the two Pyrex casserole dishes have been cleaned, but my son is still in pajamas and neither have had snacks (it’s been 3 hours since breakfast) and we need to leave in 45 minutes. MMC asks me what time the appointment is and when we need to leave (mind you I’ve told him several times all these things, it’s on the calendar, he even has the info on text to indicate what time everything needs to happen). He freaks out, realizing the time, and says “I need to shower”.  He hauls off upstairs and leaves me to put all the groceries away (some things, like extra meats, need to be bagged and frozen, so additional steps) while both kids are hungry and cranky. I’d like to add that MMC never takes a shower without first pooping, so naturally that has to happen too. I’ve been gone for an hour and nothing significant has been accomplished, other than the two Pyrex dishes. So now I’m trying to make room in fridge, while shuffling kids around everything, and make sure they eat something too. The little one wants to help put everything away too, but instead she’s making everything take that much longer. I also get my son to strip off his clothes and help him get dressed. 

Finally get everything put away and both kids are eating something. MMC comes downstairs at 11:15 and apparently has an opinion on how “late” we are (we’re actually on time and there’s no need to rush), but he’s ramping up the pressure. I’ve already been annoyed and short with the kids, so his attitude isn’t helping. So now I’m trying to keep things calm and happy, but my daughter loses it and only wants me to put her shoes on. 

Finally get in the car and get to the appointment 15 minutes early, the doctor doesn’t see us until well after 12:30 (which is 15 minutes after our appointment time). While we’re waiting my daughter has several meltdowns about nursing, she’s tired, it’s nap time. MMC gets annoyed that I’m nursing her in a doctor’s office, but I’d rather nurse her than have her screaming for nursing in the office. MMC is also all about appearances, so the kids “acting out” is not an option. He’s fully convinced our kids are the only loud ones in existence and I’ve somehow failed at raising “properly” behaved children (he keeps telling our son that he’s being bad and whatever he’s doing is not good behavior). I try, as hard as possible, to use positive language and clear explanation of what he should be doing. Telling someone they’re not behaving properly never tells them how they are expected to behave or what they can do that is ok.

Anyway, I digress, we finish the appointment and my son does very well. My daughter has fallen asleep during my son’s appointment, and she’ll wake up as soon as I try to put her in the car. We go to lunch at Burger King (not my choice, but I go along). After that we head home and I nurse my daughter and finally get to take a shower. After my shower MMC has to get on a call for work at 4:30. Both kids are now bouncing off the walls, because they haven’t spent any real time outside, so I give them bubbles and toys to play with on the deck outside. It’s windy and a little chilly, but the activities seem to do them good. 

I start making dinner and see that the dirty pot, from last night’s dinner, is still sitting on the counter (right in front of the coffee pot, the same coffee pot that MMC made coffee in this morning). MMC has come downstairs at this point. After all the random crap throughout the day now I’m just annoyed. It’s one friggin pot, so I totally get that it’s a little nuts to get upset about this, but I’ve gotten so little help throughout the day (and his comments about me not taking care of myself) that it’s getting to me. I lose it. His excuse is that he didn’t see the pot and didn’t know it needed to be washed. This is a large stock pot that easily fits spaghetti without having to break the noodles for cooking, so I’m very certain that he ignored it, but who am I, right? And, as he finishes cleaning the pot, he tells me “you could just tell me to come into the kitchen and wash it”. Yes, buddy, I could, but why do I have to hound to you on something that’s plain as day. It should’ve been done, just like getting our son dressed or taking 10 seconds to verify (on the calendar or text) what time we need to leave. I have to do everything around here and yet I’m now somehow to blame for the fact that I didn’t tell him. And to add insult to injury he asks how the pot needs to be put away. I tell him and he does it. Then he says “there, now you have your Russian doll pots”. Seriously dude? We live in a decent sized townshouse with a very small kitchen, that has limited storage. The way things are put away allows for us to keep these pots, which aren’t cheap either.

Oh… And the other thing from today, that seems to be an ongoing complaint, is that after I use the hot water (in the kitchen sink) I don’t turn the handle back to the center. Apparently this is another thing MMC isn’t capable of managing either. I finally said something (“take the time to look at the handle, that’s what I do”). His response was equally frustrating. “Yeah, but you don’t realize that there’s still hot water in the faucet left over.” Ummm it takes all of a few seconds to let the water run cold. Logically speaking, if you see the handle set to hot, you let the water run cold for a few seconds, so you don’t burn yourself. What am I supposed to do, start constantly making sure I put the handle back to cold and let it run for a few seconds? I don’t have that kind of time AND I usually need the hot water again a few minutes later.
Anyway… That was today and I’m hoping tomorrow will be a little more relaxed and easy, not to mention this darn sinus infection and pressure in my face.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s